wfdiotjv

wfdiotjv

PUL Urged to Mediate in LFA, SWAL Crisis

first_imgAn auxiliary group of the Sports Writers Association of Liberia (SWAL) is appealing to the Press Union of Liberia (PUL) to intervene in what it termed an “undermining crisis” between the Liberia Football Association (LFA) and SWAL.The Writers’ Club, in a press release dated April 8, 2014 said PUL must intervene to resolve the crisis.It said the crisis was ignited on Sunday, March 22, 2014 owing to an “abrupt media blackout” on all activities of the LFA. The action was due to the LFA’s alleged refusal to allow all sports journalists to enter the hall cover the last Congress in Buchanan, Grand Bassa County.The blackout has not been effective due to, what other sports writers considered an arbitrarily decision by SWAL.The LFA, on the other hand, condemned the blackout on grounds that it was not officially informed and threatened to reciprocate, to deny those who imposed the blackout access to their games, according to its newspaper Liberia Football Today.The Writers Club said resolving the current crisis will ensure that football, which has played a major role in the promotion of peace, will once again be taken to the Liberian people through the media.The release, signed by its Secretary General and President, Augustus Doe and Macpherson Marbiah, respectively also called on both aggrieved parties to reason and resolve the crisis.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

BCUC sets out process for gas and diesel price inquiry, set to wrap Aug. 30

first_imgVANCOUVER, B.C. – The British Columbia Utilities Commission says it has set out the process for its inquiry into gas and diesel prices in the province.It says the inquiry will explore factors potentially impacting prices in the province since 2015, including competition and the amount of fuel in storage, among other things.The BCUC says it will also explore mechanisms the province could use to moderate price fluctuations and increases.- Advertisement -The inquiry will wrap with a report to the provincial government by Aug. 30.Refiners, wholesalers and others actively involved in the gasoline or diesel industry can register for intervener status by June 13.BCUC will also request certain parties participate as interveners and provide evidence, including completing a questionnaire and possibly attending an oral hearing scheduled for July 17 to 19 in Vancouver.Advertisement Members of the public can submit comment online via the BCUC’s website by Aug. 8.The inquiry is being held at the request of the Lieutenant Governor in Council, which made the order earlier this week.last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

The Liverpool transfer rumour that won’t go away – Will this £8m man boost the Reds’ attack?

first_img1 Ezequiel Lavezzi is nearing a move to Liverpool It is no secret that Liverpool have struggled in attack this season, as a combination of departures, injuries and lacklustre signings have rendered their frontline toothless, but could boss Brendan Rodgers be close to remedying that situation?The Merseysiders have been linked with a move for Paris Saint-Germain outcast Ezequiel Lavezzi for some time now, and it looks as though they may have taken a step forward in securing his signature. But will they be able to get the deal over the line?Here’s the latest…£8mThat’s the fee being reported by the Independent that Liverpool will part with in order to land the Argentine. At 29 years old, Lavezzi is no spring chicken, but Rodgers has stated the Reds need players in their prime now, not promise, and the PSG player has a wealth of experience from time at Napoli and in Paris, which would be hugely beneficial to the Merseysiders’ young squad. It is further reported that PSG are keen to lower their wage bill and view the sale of Lavezzi as conducive to that.Replacement lined-upThe Daily Express continue along this line, reporting that PSG view the departure of Lavezzi as important in improving their Financial Fair Play situation, with the attacker on £3.5m per season in wages. And it seems as though the Parisians are already eyeing up his replacement, having started the ground work over a move for Benfica winger Nicolas Gaitan.Liverpool in the driving seatIt looks as though the Reds are the likeliest destination for Lavezzi, with Italian outlet Calcio Mercato reporting that while he has been approached in recent weeks by Inter Milan, Juventus and former club Napoli, it is Liverpool who lead the race. Although a return to Serie A is an option, the chance to play in England seems to appeal to Lavezzi the most.What Liverpool fans can expectKnown for his direct, attacking talents, should the Redmen manage to get the deal over the line, here’s what Kopites should come to expect from Ezequiel Lavezzi.Kopites, do you need Ezequiel Lavezzi? Let us know by commenting below…last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

CONFIRMED: Adnan Januzaj returns to Manchester United after Borussia Dortmund loan is cancelled

first_imgManchester United have announced the return of Adnan Januzaj after the club ended his loan deal with Borussia Dortmund early.Januzaj was sent on a season-long loan to Dortmund in August to gain experience, but the 20-year-old has barely played for the German club.Reports on Wednesday suggested the Belgian could be heading back to Old Trafford prematurely, and the club confirmed the news on Thursday afternoon.The Belgium forward started just three matches – all in the Europa League – and his only playing time in the Bundesliga came off the bench.There was no release clause inserted into Januzaj’s loan contract when it was signed, but both clubs have agreed that it is in their best interests to terminate the deal.A United statement read: “Borussia Dortmund has agreed to cancel the loan agreement for Adnan Januzaj. Adnan will rejoin the first-team squad immediately.“He has returned to Manchester in order to clarify the details.”Januzaj’s return is sure to boost United’s ailing attack, and the club have until 5pm on Friday to register him for Saturday’s FA Cup third-round tie against Sheffield United.However, Januzaj has not played since Dortmund’s 1-0 defeat to PAOK Salonika on December 10, so Louis van Gaal may decide to ease the forward back into the first team set-up after a couple of games for the under-21 side instead. Adnan Januzaj 1last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

Juventus working to beat Arsenal and Man United to summer Cavani deal

first_img1 Juventus are ready to beat Arsenal and Manchester United to the signature of Edinson Cavani with an ambitious summer swoop.The Italian champions looked at the possibility of signing the striker in the January transfer window, but their approach was rebuffed by Paris Saint-Germain.Arsenal and Manchester United are long-term admirers of the Uruguayan and have scouted him since his days at Napoli.However, according to Tuttosport, they may miss out on Cavani this summer as Juventus prepare to lure him to Turin.Manager Massimiliano Allegri is a big fan of the 28-year-old and believes he would bolster the club’s attacking options.Any move for Cavani could allow fellow striker Alvaro Morata to leave Juventus, with Liverpool and Tottenham monitoring the situation. Edinson Cavani last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

Dortmund chief confirms Mkhitaryan talks this week after £26m Man United bid

first_img1 Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has admitted he faces a “tough decision” about whether to let Henrikh Mkhitaryan join Manchester United.United have tabled a £26m offer for the Armenian playmaker and his agent, Mino Raiola, has been in talks with the German club this week to try and force through a move.Mkhitaryan is desperate to join up with Jose Mourinho at Old Trafford and Watzke confirmed he will hold discussions with the player when Dortmund return for pre-season.“We will assess his situation this week. We not only need to discuss it with Michael Zorc and Thomas Tuchel, but also with the bodies,” Watzke told German magazine Kicker. “It is a difficult decision.“There are three perspectives with every transfer: An economic, a strategic and a sporting.“If the economic side becomes overwhelming it might happen that you make a different decision in the end.” Henrikh Mkhitaryan in action for Borussia Dortmund last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

Pair shot to death in Valley

first_imgVAN NUYS – Two young men were shot to death on a sidewalk outside an apartment building, police said Thursday. Kevin Deville and Asaul Garcia, both 21 of Van Nuys, were shot by a man who walked up to them about 10:15 p.m. Wednesday in the 7000 block of Hazeltine Avenue, just south of Sherman Way, and pulled the trigger, said Capt. Jim Miller of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Van Nuys Division. Investigators haven’t determined the motive of the killings and have no suspect description. For more news and observations about crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPettersson scores another winner, Canucks beat KingsPolice received calls reporting that shots had been fired in the area, but officers initially found nothing. About 10 minutes later, a caller reported two men on the ground, and police found Deville and Garcia with gunshot wounds to the upper body. “It’s just a whodunit,” Los Angeles police Detective Mike Coblentz said. Anyone with information can call Van Nuys Homicide Detectives Martin Mojarro or Linda Lowande at 818-374-1952/1999. During off-hours or on weekends, call the 24-hour toll-free number, 1-877-LAWFULL (529-3855).last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

Donegal Death Notices – Rest in Peace

first_imgDonegal death notices for today, Wednesday, December 13. Catherine GALLAGHERThe death has occurred of Catherine Gallagher, Rockhill, Dunfanaghy, Donegal. Funeral Mass today, Holy Cross Church Dunfanaghy, Wednesday 13th December at 1pm followed by burial immediately afterwards in Doe Cemetery, Creeslough. House private at the request of the deceased. Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu, if desired, to Friends of Letterkenny University Hospital c/o any family member. John GALLAGHERThe sudden death has occurred at his home of John Gallagher, Demoleyn Park, Derry and formerly Dunwiley, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal. Beloved husband of the late Mary and much-loved father of Dillon and Chris, devoted brother of Bridget, Teresa, Patrick and Kathleen. Deeply regretted by his sons, sisters, brother, nephews, nieces, neighbours, extended family and friends.Remains reposing at the home of his sons Dillon and Chris, Dunwiley, Stranorlar, Co. Donegal, on Wednesday Dec 13th from 4pm until rosary at 10pm. Funeral leaving his home on Thursday Dec 14th at 10.30am for requiem Mass in the Church of Mary Immaculate, Stranorlar, at 11am. Interment afterwards in Drumboe Cemetery.  Angela EAMESThe death has occurred at Letterkenny University Hospital of Angela Eames, Hillcrest House, Long Lane Letterkenny. Deeply regretted by her family, brothers and sisters in England, relatives and friends in Letterkenny and Dungloe.Angela’s remains are being waked at Hillcrest House today Wednesday 13th December from 1pm to 8pm. Service of Thanksgiving in Hillcrest House at 1pm on Thursday 14th December, all welcome, followed by cremation in Lakelands Crematorium, Cavan. Family flowers only please, donations in lieu, if desired, to Hillcrest House, Residents Comfort Fund, c/o Paschal Blake Funeral Director, Stoney Arch, New Line Road, Letterkenny.Donegal Death Notices – Rest in Peace was last modified: December 13th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:obituarieslast_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

Proud moments at the Coláiste Ailigh Prize Giving – Picture Special

first_imgColáiste Ailigh held its annual Awards Ceremony last month on Thursday, 16th May with special guests and special moments for all the students and staff. This ceremony is one of the highlights of our school year where staff take the opportunity to acknowledge the efforts and achievements of the students in the same academic year.Guest speaker on the night was Minister for Education and Skills, Joe McHugh TD, who praised the achievements of students in both academia and extra-curricular activities. Other guest speakers on the night included Henry McGarvey of LYIT, Anne McHugh, CE of Donegal ETB and Dr Micheál Ó Gailín, past pupil of the school.The night was organised to celebrate the schools most successful year in Coláiste Ailigh’s history, with the school bringing six national titles back to Donegal, across a diverse range of activities from basketball to ladies soccer, and from science to music.See a collection of photos from the awards ceremony below…Proud moments at the Coláiste Ailigh Prize Giving – Picture Special was last modified: June 10th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

wfdiotjv

Mandela Children’s Hospital finally opens

first_imgThe Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital, an idea that began with a vision by Nelson Mandela as far back as his presidency in the 1990s, has finally become a reality.CD AndersonThe hospital, overseen by the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, along with various local and international partners, is dedicated exclusively to paediatric medicine and care. It will welcome its first patients on 2 December 2016.The world-class hospital has had a difficult road to realisation, struggling to raise the $100-million (R1.4-billion) needed to complete the project in the midst of a tough global economic environment and, more crucially during the last stages of the project, without the guidance and vision of the hospital’s patron, Mandela, who died in December 2013.Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital set to admit first patients https://t.co/A1LMhiFS6i pic.twitter.com/MXYsJIy7HF— The Citizen News (@TheCitizen_News) November 28, 2016“It’s a miracle, or just short of a miracle. The children’s hospital was a dream,” Sibongile Mkhabela, CEO of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, told AFP during a media tour of the facilities in November 2016. “It was very difficult to do it without him … extremely difficult, but people were ready to hear us. People could relate to his vision. There is a number of ways that you can remember him; he was a statesman. You could build a statue … but at his core, he loved children.”An aerial shot of the new @NelsonMandela Children’s Hospital near @WitsUniversity #Joburg. Opening set for December pic.twitter.com/1vPZ49BsDn— SurenNaidoo (@SurenNaidoo) July 19, 2016Finally breaking ground at its site in Parktown, Johannesburg in 2014, the hospital received financial support from a host of South African and international philanthropists and organisations, including the Bill Gates Foundation, Kellogg Foundation, Islamic Relief Worldwide and industrialist Eric Samson.Additional financing came from donations made by millions of ordinary South Africans via SMS and through various fundraising events held since 2009.Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital! Dream come Reality! @NMCF_SA pic.twitter.com/5KhQ0duUb0— Sam Tsima (@samtsima) August 26, 2016The three-floor facility, which is part of the University of Witwatersrand’s medical faculty, specialises in paediatric cancer care, and kidney and lung treatment, as well as heart, chest and brain surgery, and a range of other children’s medical needs. While Africa does have four other paediatric specialist hospitals – one each in Cape Town and Nairobi, and two in Cairo – the new Johannesburg hospital is the most advanced facility in Africa.The hospital is equipped with the latest medical equipment and technology, including the most advanced operating theatres in the country, offering the best all-inclusive diagnosis and treatment regime on the continent.Equipment was able to identify and analyse the “minutest” details, hospital project leader Joe Seoloane leader told AFP, “(making) diagnoses that general equipment might not pick up”.The hospital also provides real-time video conferencing, enabling doctors and medical students across the continent to access consultations and procedures done onsite.With a staff of 450 expertly trained paediatric nurses and 150 specialist doctors sourced from South Africa and the rest of the world, the hospital offers free services to those from poorer backgrounds and only charges those who can afford it.The brightly painted wards, colourful furnishings and the latest multimedia technology – including in-house radio and television channels tailored to its young patients – all help the hospital present a comforting and fun environment.“It’s a children’s hospital and must specialise in conditions that are unique to children,” Seoloane said. “(The hospital is) proud and excited that … on 2 December, we can officially say (Africa has a children’s hospital on par with the rest of the world).”Soon 2 be open Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital providing state-of the art care 2 children of #SouthernAfrica https://t.co/ECIxSrtqpN pic.twitter.com/iHhZmof2lU— ELMA Philanthropies (@ELMAPhilanthro) October 21, 2016Source: eNCAlast_img read more

Read More